With an international airport located just 30 minutes away from the walking trail, high quality bus and rail services and an excellent road system, travelling here has never been easier.
Ireland West Airport Knock
Located just ten minutes’ drive from County Roscommon, Ireland West Airport Knock is the main international air access gateway for the West, North West and Midlands regions of Ireland.
With over 215 international destinations, Ireland West Airport Knock’s impressive flight schedule includes a range of flights from airlines such as Flybe, Lufthansa, AerLingus, Aer Lingus Regional and Ryanair. Easy access and cheaper flights are just some of the reasons why travellers choose Knock and increasing numbers of holiday-makers are now using the Ireland West airport. Arrivals can enjoy all that Roscommon has to offer with the county boundary just 9 miles away. Car hire facilities are available at the airport from Budget, Avis, Europcar and Hertz. A tourism information desk is available at the airport, where friendly staff are on hand to help you to plan your trip.
For more information and to book your flight, visit http://www.irelandwestairport.com/index.aspx
Other international airports:
Roscommon can also be easily accessed from:
- Dublin Airport: http://www.dublinairport.com/home.aspx
- Cork Airport: http://www.corkairport.com/home.aspx
- Shannon Airport: http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/Passengers/Home.aspx
There are four Train Stations from which you can access County Roscommon; Boyle, Carrick on Shannon, Castlerea and Roscommon Town.
Three Irish Rail Intercity lines run through County Roscommon:
- From Dublin (Connolly Station) – the Sligo line stops at stations in Boyle and Carrick on Shannon.
- From Dublin (Heuston Station) – the Westport line stops at Castlerea and Roscommon stations as well as Athlone just outside the county boundary.
- From Dublin (Heuston Station) – the Galway line stops at Athlone and Ballinasloe which are both close to the county boundary.
The Suck Valley Way passes directly by Castlerea train station so it is an ideal starting point for your walk.
For more information and to book your train ticket, visit http://www.irishrail.ie/
County Roscommon Expressway Services
Bus Eireann Expressway/Intercity Services link major towns and cities across the Republic of Ireland and four Expressway services operate in County Roscommon, seven days a week, as follows:
- Dublin – Athlone – Westport
- Dublin – Dublin Airport – Mullingar – Longford – Charlestown – Ballina
- Dublin – Dublin Airport – Mullingar – Longford – Carrick on Shannon – Sligo
- Galway – Athlone – Cavan – Monaghan – Belfast
County Roscommon Regional Services
- Galway – Mountbellew – Roscommon – Longford (Mon – Sat)
- Galway – Tuam – Castlerea (Mon to Sat)
- Ballina – Charlestown – Longford (Mon to Sat)
- Castlerea – Ballintubber – Roscommon (Fri only)
- Sligo – Castlerea (Sat only)
- Roscommon – Athlone (Mon – Fri)
For more information and to book your bus ticket, visit http://www.buseireann.ie/